We get it. We absolutely get it. It is HARD to accept your body as it is right now. You've spent your entire life being told that self acceptance isn't good enough.
From the second Disney told you that princesses are beautiful and villains are "ugly" ... or the first magazine you read that taught you how to do your hair and makeup for "kissable lips" and every not so subtle attempt at undermining your confidence thereafter... we absolutely get it.
But woman, you ARE amazing. You are freaking PERFECT just as you are, right now. And you NEED to be able to look in that mirror and say "Damn it all, I am enough"
Here are some body love strategies to help you reclaim your unique, incredible beauty and self worth.
- STOP buying magazines. They are only there to make you feel inadequate.
- UNSUBSCRIBE from the feeds on social media that make you feel like you're too fat, too hairy, or not enough
- STOP apologising for your body AND Start fiercely accepting it.
- CUT the tags off your clothes if the numbers make you feel anything less than incredible. You are worth MORE than those numbers
- THROW OUT your bathroom scales
- ACCEPT that NOW is now. Stop looking into the past or future for your body, you have an awesome one right now.
- EAT real food and enjoy it, nourish and fuel your beautiful, unique body.
- EXERCISE for joy! Move your body to release endorphins, to pump iron, and to get that glorious workout high
- SAY NO to body shame. Flip the bird to the food police, the fat police and the body police - it is ALL about them, not about you.
- BUY CLOTHES that make you feel incredible, and stop worrying about the size tag. It's a meaningless number that varies from brand to brand regardless - choose for fit, comfort and how they make you FEEL.
Your body is the unique product of billions of years of evolution, and that alone means that it has survived generations of disease, war, plague, and human intervention. Show it some sparkly love!
Amazing Photo credit: Andrea Parrish - Geyer