The gym can be a great place to work on your body-love goals. I personally love plugging my headphones in and sweating it out in the weight room. So we put together this guide to help you choose a body positive gym.
And as the gym became something that more and more folks are getting into (thanks Crossfit... I think) we have more and more choices available to us!
There is everything from the large 24/7 commercial gyms that sport dozens of machines, down to the tinier, more specialized boutique gyms with unique and sometimes quite luxurious features (hello sauna and massage room!)
Tips To Choose a Body Positive Gym
When it comes to selecting a gym to suit your goals, it's important to keep your body positivity mantras in mind. Shop around and have a think about the following:
- Are you after a women's only environment?
- Are you using a personal trainer? if so, does it matter if they are more motivated by weight loss?
- What metrics do your gym track to measure progress? Keeping in mind that scales and body composition scales re notoriously inaccurate.
- What opening hours does the gym offer?
- Do they offer childcare/creche services?
- What are the backgrounds and goals of the trainers
- Do they specialize in post-natal training/pregnancy training/ injury management?
- What classes does the gym offer?
It's also a good idea to look at the marketing of the gym - are they promoting an accessible, safe, and welcoming environment?
Are you after a gym that is going to push you "SMASH" your goals? Or are you after a more intuitive approach?
Make sure you are very clear on any contract terms and conditions before you sign up - and if you get the opportunity to trial before you commit, it's an excellent idea to shop around before signing up!
Good luck choosing your gym!
Photo credit: Sascha Wenninger