May is Masturbation and Self Discovery Month! None of us should need any convincing that masturbation is amazing – because orgasms! – but did you know flicking the bean can also be great for your overall wellbeing and your sex life?
Orgasms offer wide range of benefits, including stress busting, so getting yourself to the Big O should really be part of your mental health self-care. Masturbating also helps us understand our bodies and get a good feel for what we like and what gets us off, which then translates to all-round mind-blowing sex with a partner. Need I say more? Check out 4 Reasons to Let Your Guy Watch You Masturbate.
If you haven’t quite gotten the hang of self-discovery, or you’ve been experiencing a little bit of a self-love dry-spell as of late, now’s the time to assign yourself some homework, Mrs!
Masturbation is a very personal, intimate experience, and everyone is different in terms of what works for them. Below are some great tips to help you on your way…
This Hands-On Guide to Masturbation from Refinery29 offers some great pointers, including:
- Get to know your body. Understand your anatomy, and touch yourself any place that feels good
- Discover what turns you on. Read erotica and indulge in fantasy to help get yourself in the mood.
- Experiment with touch. Stoke, rub, circle, tap and squeeze to see what feels best.
- Set the mood. Create an environment where you can feel relaxed, and let yourself be turned on without distraction.
- Find a favorite toy. Try clitoral and internal stimulation, and see what feels best.
- Choose a favorite position. Changing positions can change sensations; so don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Invite your partner to join in or watch. Masturbation doesn’t have to be a solo venture, and masturbating together can be great for your relationship.
Enjoy the Journey
Similarly, Cosmo’s Hands-On Guide to Solo Sex offers this pearl of wisdom:
Try not to be super goal-oriented, like, 'I have to have an orgasm in less than 15 minutes’… Just ride the wave of pleasure as your nether regions become more sensitive, your heart rate zooms, your breathing intensifies, and the walls of your vagina begin to contract -- all telltale signs you're bound for bliss.
Mix It Up
And Women’s Health Magazine’s Best Masturbation Tips Ever assets:
Variety is key to your sex life, so why shouldn't that extend to your self-love life? If you need more convincing, know this: By masturbating the same way every time, you might have more difficulty getting off when you're with a partner. So stay flexible.
Happy Masturbation Month, ladies! If you have a top tip of your own to share, spill it in the comments below.